Let’s take a break from all of the hustle and bustle of the holidays, take a few deep breaths, and reflect on this past year. We can start by shifting our focus from thoughts of the future and what we’re going to do to thoughts of what we have done. We can do this with a very simple but powerful exercise.
Instead of making a “To Do” List, take 1-2 minutes to think back over 2017 and make a “Done” List. Write down as many things as you can think of in the time limit and be prepared to be surprised by all that you accomplished over the year. Stepmoms, you can also use this time to think about what you’ve accomplished as a stepmom and write down those things that make you proud.
Here’s my list—“Done” in 2017
- Ran my first (and possibly last!) full marathon with my hubby. You can read my blog post about preparing for the marathon here.
- Published a book and launched my website. The Stepmom Project was born!
- Presented at an international conference in Seattle
- Bought a house
- Got a new job
- Learned how to French braid
- Had a fun family vacation in Yellowstone
After you finish your list, take some time to celebrate your accomplishments—whether they are big or small—before you start thinking about your goals and resolutions for next year. When you look over your list, I think you’ll agree that you’re pretty darn amazing! (If you need some reflection and goal setting sheets to get started, get free printables here!)
What’s on your list? Share in the comments!