“There’s only one thing more precious than our time and that’s who we spend it on.” -Leo Christopher
National Stepfamily Day is a nationally and an internationally recognized holiday that is celebrated on September 16th each year. It’s a time for stepfamilies to get together and celebrate being part of a stepfamily. Christy Tusing-Borgeld is the founder of National Stepfamily Day and you can read the inspiring story of how she started it HERE. This year, National Stepfamily Day falls on a Wednesday, but you can still do something fun after work or school to celebrate with your family.
8 Ways to Celebrate National Stepfamily Day:
- Family picnic. Enjoy the outdoors and have a picnic! You can even get a fun picnic basket for the occasion.
- Cookie decorating. Cookie, cupcake, or cake decorating is a fun side-by-side activity that you can do. Plus, you can enjoy all of the goodies that you decorate!
- Bike ride. Go on a bike ride around your neighborhood or load your bikes up and check out a new trail.
- Board games. Scrabble, Monopoly, or Clue, anyone?!
- Go out for ice cream or frozen yogurt. You don’t have to do anything too elaborate– just enjoy having dessert with each other.
- Play a sport together. Frisbee, sand volleyball, softball… Get everyone together and have some fun!
- Rent a pedal boat or a kayak. Check local lakes or parks to see if they have pedal boats or kayaks available to rent. If you’re in the Phoenix area, Tempe Town Lake and Kiwanis Lake offer boat rentals. Get out on the water and cool off!
- Go on a mural tour. Take a driving tour of the murals in your area. We went on one in Tempe, Arizona, and we saw some incredible artwork!
No matter how you choose to celebrate, make the most of every moment that you spend with your family. Celebrate the unique qualities of each person in your family and make some wonderful memories together!
Have other ideas? Wanna share how you’re going to celebrate? Share in the comments!