Let’s take a break from all of the hustle and bustle of our everyday lives, take a few deep breaths, and reflect on this past year. We can start by shifting our focus from thoughts of the future and what we’re going to do to thoughts of what we have done. We can do this with a very simple but powerful exercise.
Instead of making a “To Do” List, take 1-2 minutes to think back over 2018 and make a “Done” List. Write down as many things as you can think of in the time limit and be prepared to be surprised by all that you accomplished over the year. Stepmoms, you can also use this time to think about what you’ve accomplished as a stepmom and write down those things that make you proud.
Here’s my list—“Done” in 2018
- Saw my first glacier and the Northern Lights in Iceland
- Held 5 workshops for stepmoms over the course of the year
- Gave a talk on stepfamilies at the Artisan Fest
- Hosted a stepmom/stepchild book club. Read more about it here.
- Created bookmarks for a fun stepfamily event at the Artisan Fest
- Planned a family vacation to Nebraska
After you finish your list, take some time to celebrate your accomplishments—whether they are big or small—before you start thinking about your goals and resolutions for next year. When you look over your list, you’ll probably realize that you’ve accomplished a lot more than you expected. I think you’ll agree you’re pretty darn amazing!
What’s on your list? Share in the comments!